So you have a sweet potato or two hanging around that you want to eat. This recipe will get you from cutting to eating in about 25 minutes. This recipe is tested for about a pound of peeled and cubed sweet potatoes. Figure two medium size sweet potatoes or one large one. It will take you a couple minutes to peel and cut the potatoes, yet the prepping ultimately keeps the cooking time down.
This is a 2-step Instant Pot recipe, meaning we use the pressure cooking mode to cook the potatoes, and then later finish cooking the potatoes in sauté mode. From start to finish you will be able to create a fresh and flavorful sweet potato mash in about 25 minutes, with only a few minutes of attentive cooking time.
What you need:
- Instant Pot pressure cooker
- 1 to 2 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ cubes
- 1 cup of water
- Colander to drain the potatoes
- Oven mits or kitchen towels to remove and handle inner pot
- 1 to 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- salt and seasonings to taste
- Large wooden spoon
How you make it:
- Peel your sweet potatoes and cut them into 1″ cubes.
- Add sweet potatoes and water to the instant pot. Close pot and set to sealing.
- Cook on manual, high pressure, for 4 minutes.
- Immediately quick release the pressure as soon as the 4 minute cooking cycle has completed.
- Use oven mitts to carefully remove the inner pot from the Instant pot, carrying it to a colander in your sink to drain the potatoes.
- Quickly wash out the inner pot and dry it with a kitchen towel.
- Immediately place the clean inner pot back into the instant pot, add the coconut oil and press the sauté button.
- Once the coconut oil starts to sizzle, add your potatoes back to the pot along with any seasonings you desire. Use a wooden spoon to stir and turn your sweet potatoes, cooking until a desired consistency is reached. This step should only take a few minutes before you are ready to serve your sweet potato mash! Enjoy!