Paleo meals don’t get much easier than this. 5 minutes of prep time and then you’re off while the crock pot works it’s magic! This 3 ingredient recipe is savory and satisfies your needs for protein and high fiber vegetables. Definitely not your standard Kielbasa and kraut!
- Sauerkraut – 1 large bag, about 2 pounds
- Red Cabbage – half of one medium head, shredded.
- Beef Kielbasa – 1 to 1.5 pounds, sliced into 1/2″ or 1″ pieces.
- Pour the sauerkraut into your crock pot / slow cooker, including the juices.
- Add the shredded red cabbage and mix evenly into the sauerkraut.
- Cut the kielbasa into 1/2″ to 1″ lengths
- Place the kielbasa (cut sides up) around the edges of the crock pot to form a ring. Use the excess kielbasa slices to start a second ring inside of the first.
- Cover your crock pot / slow cooker and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
- Eat, enjoy, package the leftovers for tomorrow or the next day.
I love this recipe, the red cabbage adds a different flavor and color to the sauerkraut and also gives it a slightly firmer texture. The kielbasa placed around the edges cooks nicely and almost takes on a grilled flavor from making contact with the crock pot. You may find yourself eating all of the delicious kielbasa first, leaving some kraut/cabbage as leftovers. Please save it! The cabbage mixture is a great addition to some cold salads or a stir fry. I personally enjoy eating the cabbage mixture with some bacon crumbles tossed in.
3 ingredients + 5 minutes prep time = delicious and colorful Paleo goodness!
This one tastes so good, there’s no need to add mustard or anything else to enhance the flavor. This recipe exemplifies why I love the crock pot / slow cooker so much. Many say that a lack of time is their biggest challenge in maintaining a Paleo Diet.