It’s that time of year, to cook all of the gourds in your slow cooker, and to make soups! This recipe is for making a creamy pumpkin soup out of an actual pumpkin. For those of you looking to use canned pumpkin, I will have another recipe for you coming up soon. This version is for those of you that want to turn a small (3 to 4 pound) pie pumpkin into some soup, or just as an excuse to have some pumpkin seeds to roast.
The cutting and cooking of the pumpkin definitely takes more time that using a can. I decided to make a recipe using the whole pumpkin because, well, some people have whole pumpkins they want to eat!
What you need:
- 1 small pie pumpkin, mine was 4 pounds even. I used 4 cups of cooked pumpkin flesh, go ahead and add more for a thicker soup.
- 1 tbsp of ghee or grass fed butter.
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped roughly.
- 1 small bartlett pear, peeled, cored, and chopped.
- 4 cups of chicken stock.
- 1 can of coconut milk.
- 2 tsp cumin.
- 2 tsp cinnamon.
- 1 tsp ground ginger.
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (optional).
Tools you need:
- 4 to 6 quart slow cooker.
- Baking pan with 1/2 cup water.
- Immersion blender, blender, or food processor.
How you make it:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Carefully cut the top off of your pumpkin and then cut it in half. Large serrated knives can be easier. Then cut the pumpkin into quarters.
- Do remember to save the seeds for later if you enjoy roasting them.
- Coat the inner surfaces of your pumpkin sections with your ghee or butter, partially melted works best.
- Place your pumpkin shell side down in your baking pan with 1/2 cup water and bake for 20 to 25 minutes. You are looking for the pumpkin to pull away from the shell.
- Allow your pumpkin to cool and then use a large fork to pull it from it’s shell, place it in a large bowl and mash it.
- Add 4 cups of mashed pumpkin to your slow cooker, along with the rest of your ingredients.
- Cook on low heat for 5 to 6 hours.
- Use your immersion blender to puree your soup as desired, or transfer the contents of your slow cooker to your food processor or blender.
- Optional: garnish with pumpkin seeds (pepitas) and enjoy!
- Note: I’m giving away an immersion blender in this new giveaway.
You should cook these too: