and In Peppers
Sausage and peppers has always been one of my favorite Italian comfort foods, and also rather easy to make. I had been pondering writing some new stuffed pepper recipes due to their easy, and decided to spin the common recipe to merge my love for two different recipes. This is another one that is an easy way to feed the whole family with 10 minutes of prep time, or simply get 3 or 4 meals cooked ahead of time for yourself.
This is a picture before cooking in the crock.
What you need:
- 1 pound of ground Italian hot sausage.
- 5 assorted bell peppers. I went with 2 green, 2 red, 1 yellow.
- 1/2 head of cauliflower, grated or chopped into a “rice” consistency.
- 1 small (8 ounce) can of tomato paste.
- 1 small white onion, medium dice.
- 1/2 head of garlic, minced.
- 1 small handfull of fresh basil, minced (or 2 tsp. dried).
- 2 tsp dried oregano.
- 2 tsp dried thyme.
How you make it:
- Cut the tops off of your peppers and scoop out and discard the seed, yet do save the tops!
- Process or chop about half a head of cauliflower into “rice” and put in a large mixing bowl.
- Add your minced garlic, basil, and dried herbs, and onion to your cauliflower and mix by hand.
- Use a very hot skillet to lightly brown your sausage. This step is entirely optional based on your motivational level. The sausage will cook just fine in your slow cooker, yet I personally like to hit it with a little sear to take the flavor up a notch.
- Add your sausage and can of tomato paste to your bowl of seasoned cauliflower and mix by hand. Let the kids do this part, getting hands messy in necessary, a spoon just won’t cut it.
- Fit as much of your sausage mixture into your peppers as you can. Place your peppers into your slow cooker and loosely place the pepper tops back on. If you have extra meat and cauliflower mixture, just jam in between your peppers and let it cook. You could save it for a breakfast scramble too if you are awesome, yet I’d just feed the slow cooker more.
- Cook on low for 6 hours. I set my slow cooker to shut off once it’s temperature probe hit 180 degrees. Maybe I just like using that feature. Just cook it on low for 6 hours.
- Please do post in comments if you made any super modifications to this recipe you think others will enjoy.