This is a super easy slow cooker recipe for those of you that like to cook sweet potatoes in bulk. Apples and sweet potatoes, a dish full of carbs. This one works well for the athlete or weightlifter that wants a healthy dose of good carbs to fit into their post workout meals. You can alter the seasoning amounts to your liking, but I really like to combination of cinnamon and cayenne. It is definitely not boring.
What you need:
- 4 cups of sweet potatoes, sliced medium thin. I used about 6 smallish potatoes.
- 2 gala apples. Peeled, cored, and sliced medium.
- 2 tablespoons of ghee or coconut oil.
- 1 to 2 tsp of cayenne pepper.
- 1 to 2 tsp of ground cinnamon.
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin.
- slight pinch of finely ground sea salt.
How you make it:
- Peel and slice your sweet potatoes into medium thin slices. I use a mandoline.
- Peel and core your apples, and slice the same thickness.
- Layer your apples and potatoes in your slow cooker, mixing the apples among the potatoes.
- Add your seasonings and mix well either by hand or with a spoon. Make sure everything is evenly coated.
- Add your coconut oil or ghee to the top so it melts down during cooking.
- Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6.
- Results will be somewhat mushy and brown, yet super easy and super tasty. Enjoy!