Pomegranate short ribs. Indeed. I had a fan challenge me to cook something using pomegranate, and this is my result. This one definitely came out a home run and is also super easy. Most recipes for ribs are not paleo-friendly as they require the use of molasses or honey, yet this recipe only has 2 tablespoons of coconut crystals (which are totally optional).
What you need:
- 1.5 to 3 pounds of boneless pork short ribs.
- 1 to 2 (8 ounce) bottles of pure pomegranate juice. 1 bottle for 1.5 pounds of meat, 2 for 3 pounds.
- 1 to 2 medium red onions, sliced very thin.
- 1 to 2 pink lady apples, peeled, cored, and sliced very thin.
- 2 tbsp of coconut sap crystals.
- 1/2 tsp of cumin.
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg.
- salt and pepper to season the pork.
How you make it:
- Slice your onions and apples very thin and add to your slow cooker. Mix them well. I use a mandoline to slice them thin.
- Add your pomegranate juice, 1 tbsp of coconut sap crystals, and your spices. Toss and stir well.
- Season your ribs with salt and pepper, then lightly dust each side with your remaining tbsp of coconut crystals.
- Nestle your ribs into your apples and onion mixture, and make sure some of it covers the ribs.
- If using a 4 quart slow cooker, cook no longer than 4 hours on low. No more than 5 hours for a 6 quart cooker.
- Before serving, use a hot cast iron skillet to sear the outsides of your ribs so they look as pretty as they taste and get some char flavor.
- Puree some of your apple/onion mixture that is remaining in the crock to make a pomegranate-apple dipping sauce.
Great recipe! Only things I did differently: I seared the ribs before cooking in the slow cooker, and I added just a bit of ginger. Thanks for the recipe. We really enjoyed these!
Thanks! Glad you enjoyed them!
i will try this with beef ribs. this sounds great
Comments are closed.